Located in the city of Pondicherry in Tamil Nadu, Prime Trust focuses on programs that empower local women, enable rural and urban poor to become self-reliant, raise social awareness, and educate underprivileged children. Each year our reach grows, and more people are helped by its services due to collaboration with volunteers and other grassroots NGOs, as well as putting the power of change in the hands of the people who need it.
From finance groups to vocational training centers, Prime Trust is working to help the women in Indian society achieve a better life through self-sufficiency. Read more.
Support OUR PROGRAMS
Support us in our programs by donating through Global Giving. We are currently looking for donations for three of our progjects.
We are in need of ongoing assistance in our Janini Home, a for underprivileged girls in the Pondicherry area who otherwise don't have good homes.
Our dream is to expand our evening school program and create 5 new evening schools reaching 200 children in rural and slum areas of Pondicherry. Evening classes outside of the normal school curriculum are almost essential to succeed in the Indian school system, and it's a much needed push for students who don't always have the means to pay extra tuition for evening school.
Directly support our microcredit program by empowering 50 women to start or expand their small business through a microcredit group.
In 2014 Prime Trust:
- formed 250 microfinance groups for women and obtained an approval credit for an additional 100 groups
- conducted more than 200 awareness programs on HIV/AIDS, nutrition, diabetes, cancer, mental illness health and hygiene, domestic violence, women and children’s rights, and the environment
- taught 250 women the tailoring trade through Prime Trust’s tailoring center
- helped 500 women create their own business
- started a second evening school in the local slums; accommodated 55 children in our daycare program
- financially sponsored 10 new children as well as continually sponsored 20 children; created a girls’ orphanage for at-risk girls
- provided medical support for 30 rural villages over a 40 day period
- constructed operational and hygienic plumbing, as well as a new kitchen facility, for a primary school in the Villupuram district of Tamil Nadu
- provided a huge quantity of vitamin
tablets and Albandazole tablets—treating various worm infestations—for deprived
In the video above, we visit the homes of women benefiting from the Akshaya Microfinance Project, a collective of Self-Help Groups. You will also hear from Rajesh, our Volunteer Coordinator, and our director Mr. Arasu. Read more about the program here.
Looking to volunteer?
Visit our sister-organization, India Volunteer Care (IVC).